Friday, February 3, 2012

Seeds Delivered

So I got the seeds I ordered already this week - now it's just a waiting game for the first planting session.  That will come later this month.

The seeds I needed to order this year were:
From Territorial:
  • Nasturtiums (Jewel mix & Tip Top Alaska) - nasturtium flowers are beautiful in salads and on cheese trays - with a spicy/sweet flavor, and we love the leaves for everything from salads to soups (we freeze them for winter - no blanching!) to turkey burger toppings.
  • Parsley (Italian flat leaf) - great for fines herbes pesto and pesto provencal.
  • Peas (Serge & Dakota) - both new types, I have some of last year's types still so I will interplant.
  • Bush beans (Maxibel & Soleil) - these are both french filet beans or haricots verts, and they are so productive in my garden it's not even funny!  Last year I planted 28 square feet of filet beans and got over 19 pounds of beans.  Perfect for both fresh eating and blanching and freezing for the winter.  I planted green, yellow and purple but the green and yellow were most productive, so this year only green and yellow will be planted.  The purple ones turn green when cooked anyway, so they're only really interesting when served raw.
From Baker Creek:
  • Cauliflower (Purple of Sicily) - I've never grown cauliflower before, so we'll see how this goes.  I didn't want to bother with pulling the leaves over the head to blanch it, so a purple type seemed like a logical solution - plus it looked pretty.  Really.  It's like when I first started buying wine...that label looks nice...ha!  We'll see how it goes.
  • Eggplant (Diamond & Japanese pickling) - another crop I haven't tried to grow yet, but my mom was up last summer and bought an eggplant from the farmer's market (much to my chagrin since I pride myself in not purchasing veggies), and she cooked it for us, and I liked it.  So, in case mom comes up again this summer, we'll have it in the garden and not have to buy it.
  • Arugula (Domestic & Wild Rocket) - what can I say, I absolutely love arugula.  Give me wine, cheese, and arugula and I could probably survive on a desert island.
  • Summer squash (Cocozella zucchini & Golden Crookneck) - I probably didn't need these seeds, I have other varieties of summer squash seeds, but last year was a horrible squash year for me, so I guess I'm compensating.  This year I won't plant the squash in containers, it was a total disaster.
  • Tomato (Amana Orange) - I've been planting this tomato since our very first garden in this house and it does great.  I was out of seeds. 
  • Basil (Emily) - I have Thai purple and Lettuce Leaf, thought this would be a nice addition.
  • Dill (Bouquet & Elephant) - I use so much dill (I love cucumber pickles, pickled beans, pickled carrots, pickled squash, pickled green tomatoes...) that I needed to replenish.

So that's it with the seed purchases this year.  If all goes well, it will mean that I will have spent around $80 (this includes the $30 for onion sets + shipping on all this stuff) total for all of my produce in 2012.  All of it.  And it will be grown organically - no pesticides, herbicides, fungicides...no purchased fertilizers.  The only additional expense is the seed starting mix and the organic potting soil I need to use to start the seeds and transplant them into larger (recycled) pots before they go into the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment