Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pressure

I don't know about you, but this is the time of year when I start to feel a slight bit of food-related pressure.  Harvest season is about to get into full swing, and I have social occasions planned.  I know this doesn't sound like something that would create stress (hmmm...poor thing, she socializes for goodness sakes!), but I want to be able to do everything.  For example, today I left work early to try to get some wild raspberries harvested before meeting friends for dinner.  When I got home there just wasn't the time to change clothes, water the melons, feed the birds, harvest our own raspberries and still have time to walk down the road for the wild berries before leaving for dinner.  And those berries need to be picked, after all, they provide us with our year's worth of jam. 

Tomorrow I'm going downtown on the train for a work meeting, then meeting more friends for a free concert in the park in Arlington Heights in the evening.  When am I going to get to the berries?  I love spending time with friends and family but there are plants to be checked on, weeding to do, and most importantly - the harvest to be picked.  It's the time of year when it seems like there's just not enough time in the day.  On the other hand, as I sit here typing, I  slowly realize that this pressure is nothing compared to high-tech organizational politics...so I think I'm getting a little too obsessive about all this.  Maybe the friends and family and farming go better together than I realize, it's the work that's getting in the way!  ;-) 

(By the way, if you're a folk music lover and you live in the area, you should come to Arlington Heights tomorrow evening - The Small Potatoes are playing and they are absolutely wonderful!  A bonus: they are our neighbors.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment