Saturday, June 9, 2012

Rule Number 2

Rule number 2 for self-sustainable living: Re-use freezer bags.  With all the freezing we do to put up food during the summer, we use a LOT of freezer bags.  When we're using the frozen goods up during the winter it's super simple to just flip them inside-out, wash with soap and water and let dry.  Roll them up and put them back in the pantry for the spring and summer. 

I have to admit that this is not my favorite task - I find it irritating and tedious (if, like I said, simple).  But I've gotten 3 years out of most bags, and all of them make 2 years, and it saves money and the environment.  I don't use tupperware to freeze whole or chopped veggies or herb cubes because I try to get as much air out of package as possible before storing - freezer bags just work the best for this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment