Thursday, June 7, 2012

Strawberry harvest

I am so excited!  This year is the best year for my strawberry patch.  It's just a row, about a foot wide and 12 or so feet long between the patio and the garage sidewalk, but I've already harvested almost a pound and a half of strawberries!  We've been eating fresh berries, but also I've been on a mission to freeze enough strawberries for strawberry rhubarb tartlets this winter, and some other winter enjoyment.  I think I have about a pound frozen now, so we will probably just eat the rest of the strawberries fresh.  I've never had enough to save before, this is the third year so it looks like it takes about that long before the production is really good.

Here's a photo of the 1/2 pound I harvested today - going into a freezer bag:

Of course it's still not enough production to start to think I can rely on my own fruit all year long like I rely on my veggies for self-sufficiency, but it's a start!

No comments:

Post a Comment