Friday, June 29, 2012

Rule number 4: Eat leaves with holes in them

I would never be able to be self-sufficient in veggies if I wasn't willing to eat leaves with holes in them.  Lettuce leaves, broccoli leaves, cabbage leaves - all of them will have some bug damage.  Of course they will, I'm completely organic in my production methods.  But just because the leaves have been munched on by something else, doesn't mean you shouldn't munch on them.  They're perfectly fine - as long as you wash off whatever it was that was doing the first munching.  ;-)

I collected some of my spring cabbage today (1 lb of loose leaves) and here's how it looked:
I will make it into coleslaw and no one will be the wiser - except me.

One note on spring cabbage, kale, cauliflower and broccoli: so far I have had very little luck.  No cauliflower at all, and you can see how loose the heads of cabbage are.  I got a 1oz head of broccoli - the largest one I got this spring, woohoo (sarcastic).  I'm fairly frustrated at that, but it means I should plant more spring peas I guess.  I'll plant fall broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage and see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment