Saturday, March 17, 2012

20 Minute Terrarium centerpiece

This is so simple:


I have been wanting to create a terrarium for a while now, and finally just decided to do it.  I put rocks at the bottom, then collected moss and succulents from the garden.  I put the rocks on the bottom, placed the moss over them, then inserted the succulents into the cracks in the moss.  Then I put a couple more rocks on the moss and went looking around the house for things to create the scene.  Seriously, this is what took the most time.  I had a small statue of Durga riding a tiger (Hindu goddess - I have a ton of goddess statues around the house) and a crystal (ok, I have a bunch of those around too).  I just placed those strategically in the apothecary jar and viola a new dining room centerpiece.

More photos of the terrarium:





It was also extremely inexpensive - I had everything (including the apothecary jar), so I spent no money.  If you don't have an apothecary jar handy, however, don't go someplace trendy.  I found a set of three last year at Hancock Fabrics for about $30 - $10 a piece.  (And I just searched Amazon and you can get a very suitable one for $13.)  The rest of the creation process is simply finding things you already have in your garden and house.  I went with moss and succulents because they don't need a lot of soil or water to flourish.

Here's another inspiration from hallready.blogspot.com:


No comments:

Post a Comment