Saturday, March 3, 2012

Winter cole slaw

So today I finally cut down the cabbage I had taken out of the garden and planted in containers at the end of the season.  They've been growing over the last few months in the basement, near a window.  Basically I think I've just been saving them for fresh greens in the winter - they really didn't grow much at all from when I transplanted them.  But I don't mind.  It snowed yesterday, there is snow covering the ground outside, and inside I was chopping cabbage, basil, shallot and garlic - and squeezing the rangpur lime over top. 



I altered the cole slaw recipe in the Alice Waters cookbook "The Art of Simple Food" and added my red clover sprouts.  It turned out great - now it's in the fridge, flavors mingling.  I can't say how much I enjoy my basement greens in the winter.  I will do this again even though the cabbage never formed a head.  The lettuce, sprouts, and now cabbage are the only fresh veggies I get the whole winter.  All the rest are the veggies blanched and frozen during harvest season and obviously they're cooked.  Growing up in southern California and Florida I really ate mostly raw veggies.  Winter up here kills me, so this is a true treat. 

If you want to do it too, just transplant your fall cabbage into large pots and put them somewhere in your house where it's cool and they get sunlight.  Apparently they stay healthy and ready to eat for months.  I'll be doing this again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment