Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Onion sets!

My onion sets came today!  Long-day sampler from Burpee...and I'm working from home, so perfect timing.  They'll need to be planted right away because they're a little dry, but they look good:


They are Walla Walla, Red Zeppelin, and Spanish White.  I know the Walla Walla is not a good storage onion, but the Red Zeppelin is a storage onion, and the Spanish White I'll just have to learn about.  I don't mind freezing the onions to store them, and I have a dehydrator to dry them as well.

The directions say to plant them about 6" apart, and I have 24 square feet set aside, which means only 96 onions (and I received 225).  That's very strange since I usually plan carefully to maximize the use of the plants I order.  So I looked up the planting instructions in the Vegetable Gardener's Bible and it says to plant 4" apart.  That would have been 6 per square foot, taking care of 144 plants.  That's more like it.  I'm going to try the 6 per square foot and see what happens.  The rest I'll give to neighbors and friends/colleagues at work.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds Good!! :) Now if only I can figure out how to grow onions here!!

    ReplyDelete