Thursday, March 29, 2012

216 Onions

So yesterday I actually decided to plant 9 onions per square foot - 216 onions planted!  It's amazing how quickly it goes - right index finger pushed into soil an inch, do this for 2 sq ft, plop in 18 onions and cover them...on to the next 2 sq ft.  No time at all.  I highly doubt that the two of us will eat them all, though, especially if they reach full size, so we'll see how many we use and plant accordingly next year.





The worst part is that something was already in the garden today digging them up.  I had to replant 7 of them after I got home from work.  Probably a squirrel, but I don't know why - they don't eat them.  I highly doubt it was a deer, they usually don't like the smell - but I know they were in the garden last night because a number of our hostas got eaten.  I'll just keep replanting and see how it goes.  Every night I come home from work and "walk the garden" - pulling up the maple tree sprouts and any newly sprouted weeds, replanting if needed or propping up plants that have fallen over.  Therapy.  Even in 40 degree weather it's a pleasure to come home and walk the garden.

2 comments:

  1. maybe they had buried a nut around there and were looking for it and you had put more stuff in their way

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the onion smell would deter them! Crazy little critters, guess not.

    ReplyDelete